>> "Here the top of commit has commit has c14cdd3673ebdd8014118ec961068ee51f2327b1,
instead of a1b9460dbfaf9e96aa958d805cf6cf11c8d01d0f, which is expected. " is
one of the things which lead me to my conclusions.

This was referring to two different commits, instead of the same commit
that mutated to two different commit hashes.

>> It's one of the reasons why I thought/think force pushes should be
disallowed

This was done in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13968, no
worries moving forward.

>> I'm not sure we'll ever know at this point.

I think it would be good to know what caused this. My bet is on the svn-git
move still, so I left a comment on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-12573, let's see what Infra
says about this.
Though, we probably can't do anything about this (like revert to old commit
hash), and the current status might be OK as it's not malicious.