Accumulo, mail # dev - JIRA Patch Conventions

Re: JIRA Patch Conventions
Keith Turner 2013-04-24, 13:32
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Mike Drob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Accumulo Devs,
>
> Are there any conventions that we'd like to follow for attaching updated
> patches to issues? There are two lines of thought applicable here:
>
> 1) Remove the old one and attach the new patch. This has the advantage of
> being immediately obvious to future google searchers what the patch was,
> especially in case of back porting issues.
> 2) Leave all patches attached to the ticket, and use a one-up identifier
> for each subsequent patch. This preserves context from comments, and might
> be useful in other ways.
> I've seen both approaches used on Accumulo tickets, and don't have a strong
> preference outside of a desire for consistency. I think I'd lean towards
> option #2, if only because that means I get one fewer email notification.

I agree I would like consistency.   I lean towards 2 also, but I do not
have a good reason, its just my preference.  We should probably put
together a page outlining how to submit a patch.  I have seen other
projects do this.

> As an aside, what is the IP status of submitted patches? I think I remember
> hearing that they immediately become part of the Apache Foundation, so
> removing them might be a bad idea from that perspective.

Does someone who is submitting patches need to submit an ICLA?