HBase >> mail # dev >> DISCUSSION: 0.96.0: Purge CoprocessorProtocol and all associated parts of this jettisoned engine?

DISCUSSION: 0.96.0: Purge CoprocessorProtocol and all associated parts of this jettisoned engine?
Are folks down with purging CoprocessorProtocol in 0.96 and all of its
associated machinery?

For example, Andrew Purtell says "I'd be +1 with dropping
CoprocessorProtocol from 0.96 and up, given all of the other (deliberate)
incompatibilities posed with RPC going from 0.94 to 0.96 and up." [2].

CoprocessorProtocol is how we did dynamic endpoints before 0.96/trunk where
we are moving to protobuf'ing all rpc Interactions.  Dynamic endpoints are
now done using CoprocessorService where you define your endpoint as a
protobuf Service [1].

Cons:
+ Any current coprocessor dynamic endpoint will need to be refactored to
run on 0.96
+ We will have to support two very different underpinnings for an exotic
though critical feature (We'd have to do this if we wanted to deprecate to
purge in another release)

Pros:
+ Purge a bunch of code.  Simplify RPC.  Save a bunch of effort making sure
both mechanisms work.  One, "cleaner" (though perhaps more verbose) way of
implementing dynamic endpoints.

I'm in favor of purge without deprecation.  I've done a few convertions.  I
volunteer to help out anyone who needs to make the transition.

St.Ack

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6789
2. http://goo.gl/fSTLM