Hadoop >> mail # general >> HEP proposal

Eli,

Thanks for a really good proposal.
Some questions / comments:

On voting
1. Which voting rule?
http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#ConsensusApproval
http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval
I think you mean the MajorityApproval as it does not have veto rule.
So may be it's just clarifying the reference.

2. Who can vote?
Usually PMCs have Binding Votes.
Would be good to have a sentence clarifying this.

3. How long does the vote go?
Usual 3 days may not be enough. One week is reasonable?

4. Discussion on public lists.
A HEP can evolve from a jira, then it should be counted as a public
discussion. I think it makes sense even to continue the discussion
there if so. I propose to add the following:
========================================idea is HEP-able by sending mail to the general, or the project-specific lists
+ (including Jiras)
if the scope of the idea is limited to the project.
5. How the set of editors is selected?
    "The editors are apointed and removed by the PMC informally, similar to
    how the Apache Board appoints shepherds to projects."
This needs a reference. How does Apache Board appoints shepherds?

6. The level of design details.
I think HEP should have a pretty detailed design. When people vote they
will want to be sure the design can lead to a reasonable implementation.
Should we say "implementation-ready design", rather than
"A high-level explanation of the design."
Or just
"A _detailed_ explanation of the design."

7. Typos:
successuflly, apointed, intial

Thanks,
--Konstantin