Hadoop >> mail # user >> Jobs failing on submit

Re: Jobs failing on submit
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM, John Armstrong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:46:42 -0700, Ramya Sunil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > How many tasktrackers do you have? Can you check if your tasktrackers
> are
> > running and the total available map and reduce capacity in your cluster?
>
> In pseudo-distributed there's one tasktracker, which is running, and the
> total map and reduce capacity is reported by the jobtracker at 6 slots
> each.
>
> > Can you also post the configuration of the scheduler you are using? You
> > might also want to check the jobtracker logs. It would help in further
> > debugging.
>
> Any ideas what I should be looking for that could cause a job to list as
> failed before launching any task JVMs and without reporting back to the
> launcher that it's failed?  Am I correct in interpreting "state 4" as
> "failure"?

State "4" indicates that the job is still in the PREP state and not a job
failure. We have seen these kind of errors when either the cluster does not
have tasktrackers to run the tasks or when the queue to which the job is
submitted does not have sufficient capacity.
In the logs, if you are able to see "Adding task (MAP/REDUCE)
<attemptID>...for tracker 'tracker_<TT_hostname>'", that means the task was
scheduled to be run on the TT. One can then look at the TT logs to check why
the tasks did not begin execution.
If you do not see this log message, that implies the cluster does not have
enough resources due to which JT is unable to schedule the tasks.

Thanks
Ramya