Hadoop >> mail # user >> More cores Vs More Nodes ?

RE: More cores Vs More Nodes ?

Aw Tommy,
Actually no. You really don't want to do this.

If you actually ran a cluster and worked in the real world, you would find that if you purposely build a cluster for one job, there will be a mandate that some other group needs to use the cluster and that their job has different performance issues and your cluster is now suboptimal for their jobs...

Perhaps you meant that you needed to think about the purpose of the cluster? That is do you want to minimize the nodes but maximize the disk space per node and use the cluster as your backup cluster? (Assuming that you are considering your DR and BCP in your design.)

The problem with your answer, is that a job has a specific meaning within the Hadoop world.  You should have asked what is the purpose of the cluster.

I agree w Brad, that it depends ...

But the factors which will impact your cluster design are more along the lines of the purpose of the cluster and then the budget along with your IT constraints.

IMHO its better to avoid building purpose built clusters. You end up not being able to easily recycle the hardware in to new clusters easily.

But hey what do I know? ;-)