HBase >> mail # user >> How to specify the hbase.zookeeper.quorum on command line invoking hbase shell

Re: How to specify the hbase.zookeeper.quorum on command line invoking hbase shell
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM, Stephen Boesch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We want to connect to a non-default / remote hbase server by setting
>   hbase.zookeeper.quorum=our.remote.hbase.server
> on the command line invocation of "hbase shell"  (and not disturbing the
> existing hbase-env.sh or hbase-site.xml).   How to do this?  Thanks!

I think it is broke that you can't do this.  You should be able to do
something like:

./bin/hbase shell -Dhbase.zookeeper.quorum="xyz"

or even...

HBASE_OPTS="-Dhbase.zookeeper.quorum='xyz'" ./bin/hbase shell

or even...

RUBY_OPTS="-J-Dhbase.zookeeper.quorum='xyz'" ./bin/hbase shell

I thought at least the latter would work but it fails.

This is a failing that should be simple enough to fix.  Want to file a noob
issue for it?

W/o it you have to do stuff like the trick Rob Mancusco suggests:

HBASE_CONF_DIR=/alternate/conf/dir ./bin/hbase shell

St.Ack