From: n keywal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:53 AM
Subject: Re: Hbase Assignments in trunk.

On the Async vs. sync: there are 3 different ways to write multiple znodes
in ZK, and huge differences in the performances between them:

1) for loop sync
2) for loop async
3) multi

Async will be 20 to 100 times faster than sync. multi will be 2 to 4 times
faster than async (that is, 80 to 400 times faster than sync).

Multi was not available before ZK 3.4. It has several obvious advantages
over async imho: it's faster, it's synchronous and it's a transaction. That
simplifies the user code usually.

It has other advantages:
- async and sync will typically send 1 or more packet per znode (naggle is
not activated iirc), while there will be only a few packets for all the
znodes with multi
- you can expect async to write multiple times on the disk, while multi
should write only once. This is usually better for i/o performances.

On a serious recovery situation, with all the regions moving all other the
place, saving disk and network i/o for ZooKeeper is important.

Disadvantage: it's new.