Hadoop >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] create a hadoop-build subproject (a follow up on the thread 'introduce Python as build-time...')

Re: [DISCUSS] create a hadoop-build subproject (a follow up on the thread 'introduce Python as build-time...')
On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Colin McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Radim Kolar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> 1. cmake and protoc maven plugins already exists. why you want to write a
>> new ones?
>
> This has already been discussed; see
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/cmake-maven-project-users/5FpfUHmg5Ho
>
> Actually the situation is even worse than it might seem from that
> thread, since it turns out that com.googlecode.cmake-maven-project has
> no support for any platforms but Windows.  It also has no support for
> running native unit tests, which is a big motivation behind
> HADOOP-8887.

To clarify this a little bit, some of the later versions of the
googlecode plugin add rudimentary support for gcc, but I wasn't able
to get it to work locally.  I spent a lot of time on this when I did
the cmake conversion, and it didn't really pay off.

As I commented, the plugin from HADOOP-8887 also does a lot more,
including add the ability to support things like "mvn test
-Dtest=my_native_test".

cheers,
Colin