HBase >> mail # dev >> [PROPOSAL] HBASE-10070 branch

+
Enis Söztutar 2014-01-15, 08:44
+
Stack 2014-01-15, 19:17
+
Andrew Purtell 2014-01-15, 19:37
+
Devaraj Das 2014-01-15, 20:51
+
Stack 2014-01-15, 21:03
+
Enis Söztutar 2014-01-15, 21:47
+
Stack 2014-01-15, 22:24
+
Andrew Purtell 2014-01-15, 22:38
+
Stack 2014-01-15, 23:05
Re: [PROPOSAL] HBASE-10070 branch
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > However, with different tables, it will be unintuitive
> > > since the meta, and the
> > > client side would have to bring different regions of different tables
> > > make sense. Those tables
> > > will not have any associated data, but refer to the other tables etc.
> > >

> > That is right.  HBase core would be go untouched.  The read replica
> > 'construct' would be an imposition done in a layer above.
> >

> This is why I like the latter idea, but maybe it isn't good enough. I need
> to check if HBASE-10070 has something on the specific objectives here
> before I ask. Did we fit the solution to the problem or the problem to the
> solution? When I was considering HBASE-2357, I came to the conclusion it
> was the latter.

I am afraid, it is not coprocessors or current set of plugins only. We need
changes in the
RPC, meta, region server, LB and master. Since we cannot easily get hooks
into all these in
a clean manner, implementing this purely outside would be next to
impossible.

I think we looked into various different options including across and intra
cluster replication, multi clusters
in the same DC, etc but come to the conclusion that the proposed approach
would be the cleanest way.

> --
> Best regards,
>
>    - Andy