Hadoop, mail # user - Hadoop multi tier backup

RE: Hadoop multi tier backup
Michael Segel 2011-08-30, 20:13

Matthew, the short answer is hire a consultant to work with you on your DR/BCP strategy. :-)

Short of that... you have a couple of things...

Your back-up cluster, is it in the same site? (What happens when site goes down?)

Are you planning to make your back up cluster and main cluster homogenous? By this I mean if your main cluster has 1PB of disk w 4x2TB or 4x3TB drives, will your backup cluster have the same configuration?
(You may want to consider asymmetry in designing your clusters) So your backup cluster has fewer nodes but more drives per node.

You also have to look at your data. Are your data sets small and discrete? If so, you could probably back them up to tape, (snapshots) , just in case of human error and you didn't catch it in time and the error gets propagated to your backup cluster.

I haven't played with fuse, so I don't know if there are any performance issues, but on a back up cluster, I don't think its much of an issue.