HBase >> mail # dev >> [UPDATE] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Perhaps you can elaborate on the difference you see between HFileV3 and
> namespaces?

Sure. From my perspective,

Namespaces:
* arrived earlier in the merge window.
* Has been run publicly on a large cluster
* Has had more public reviews.
* Was re-worked to get closer to a greenfield best implementation
* Is closer to being merged
* Is less prone to have unforeseen perf impacts.
* Is almost impossible to create without needing downtime
** (hence it should go in the singularity if possible).
HFileV3:
* Showed up very late in the merge window
* Still needs revisions
* Hasn't been put on large clusters publicly.
* Is not the green field HFileV3, and doesn't have time for a complete re-do
* Can easily be done without out downtime
** (changing the encoders could be done without needing downtime.
meaning no singularity is required).
* Will 100% have perf impacts.

None of that actually has anything to do with what I think is a more
exciting feature.  It's all about stability of the project and trying
to find a way move us towards the stable and externally explainable
release cycles that other real databases have.

I'm actually really excited about tagging.  It could allow a lot of
new and cool features without adding too much core code.