Accumulo, mail # dev - 1.6.0 Feature Freeze

Re: 1.6.0 Feature Freeze
Sean Busbey 2013-10-31, 20:59
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM, John Vines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> All of your comments make sense to me. Unfortunately we're a bit stuck in
> the latter category. Going forward we can make steps as a community to help
> prevent it, but that doesn't change this release. And beside issue of
> pulling out an incrementally committed feature, pulling out features lends
> the potential for a release to be insubstantial.

There are 149 non-duplicate issues resolved marked for 1.6.0 that aren't
marked for a 1.5.x series[1].

That a good deal, though I admittedly don't know how substantial they are,
and I don't have a sense for how many would be *need* to be pulled out as
part of a major feature revert.
> So for the sake of the 1.6.0 release, what do we think we should do about
> the sub-tasks for added/expected features? Particularly ones deemed
> requisite for that feature to hit the mainline?

Ultimately, if you're the release manager you get to decide. You can just
take a very permissive view on how far along things posted to review board
need to be at the start. Or a permissive view on what constitutes an update
"critical" for the release.

I think we all want to avoid the ~5 months it took to get through RC on
1.5, but I'd be happy with even the incremental improvement we'd have by
implementing Chris' suggestion on a review board choke point starting at
deadline. Even if things drag on past a week, the patches that come out of
those review boards will likely be far better organized than the frantic
updates we saw last time.

Do we have a prioritized list yet? An idea of what the assigned people
think they'll hit by tomorrow night? A good list of gaps would help a great
deal in this discussion.
[1]: http://bit.ly/18H9jpx

--
Sean