HDFS >> mail # user >> hflush not working for me?

hflush not working for me?
I'm putting together some unit tests up in our application that exercise
hflush.  I'm using minidfscluster and a jar made by building head of the
0.21 branch of hdfs (from about a minute ago).

Code opens a file, writes a bunch of edits, invokes hflush (by calling sync
on DFSDataOutputStream instance) and then, without closing the Writer, opens
a Reader on same file.  This Reader does not see any edits not to mind edits
up to the sync invocation.

I can trace the code and see how on hflush it sends the queued packets of
edits.

I studied TestReadWhileWriting.  I've set setBoolean("dfs.support.append",
true) before minidfscluster spins up.  I can't set soft lease to 1 second
because not in same package so I just wait out the default minute.  It
doesn't seem to make a difference.

Do I have to do open as another user?

Thanks for any pointers,
St.Ack