From: Alexander Shraer [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 5:19 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Consistency in zookeeper

Hi Yasin,

I assume you mean "linearizability" by "strict consistency".

ZooKeeper provides "sequential consistency". This is weaker than
linearizability but is still very strong, much stronger than "eventual
consistency".
In addition, all update operations are linearizable as they are
sequenced by the leader. With sequential consistency, a reader never
"goes back in time"
even if you read from a different follower every time, you'll never
see version 3 of the data after seeing version 4.

ZooKeeper also provides a sync command. If you invoke a sync command
and then a read, the read is guaranteed to see at least the last write
that
completed before the sync started. So if you always do "sync + read"
instead of just "read", you get linearizability. But you pay in
performance since
these reads will no longer be executed locally on the follower to
which you're connected - they sync is sent to the leader. That's why
ZooKeeper gives
you the option of doing a fast read that is consistent but may
retrieve a slightly old version, or a sync+read that is more
consistent but slower.

Alex