Hive >> mail # user >> Failed to report status for x minutes

Failed to report status for x minutes
Hi all,

We've been running into this problem a lot recently on a particular reduce
task. I'm aware that I can work around it by uping the
"mapred.task.timeout".

However, I would like to know what the underlying problem is. How can I
find this out?

Alternatively, can I force a generated hive task to report a status, maybe
just increment a counter?

Cheers,

Krishna