Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Zookeeper protocol weirdness and pure Python kazoo client

+
Ben Bangert 2012-08-30, 23:00
+
Ben Bangert 2012-08-30, 23:02
+
Michi Mutsuzaki 2012-08-30, 23:50
+
Ben Bangert 2012-08-31, 00:06
+
Henry Robinson 2012-08-31, 00:10
+
Ben Bangert 2012-08-31, 04:00
Re: Zookeeper protocol weirdness and pure Python kazoo client
On Aug 30, 2012, at 9:00 PM, Ben Bangert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> zkpython (Python binding to C lib):
> - Approx. 1500 lines of C (Not including the C lib itself, which is another ~ 8000 lines of code)
> - Anyone that knows and wants to read the C library *and* Python *and* the Python C binding tricks can trouble-shoot and contribute. And maybe the patches will actually be accepted and incorporated at some point...
> - Only usable with CPython
> - Worst case... Python segfaults
>
> I really don't know many (hardly any) Python developers that know C well enough to debug it or dive into it. If their only Zookeeper experience is marred by bugs in the 'black box' of C, they'll move on to something else. Which saddens me cause I think Zookeeper is pretty awesome.

Wanted to update this cause I think this might have come off as harsh. I greatly appreciate the Python C binding work, without it I wouldn't have started using Zookeeper. I definitely think we can do better to make it more enjoyable to use Zookeeper from Python though.

- Ben
+
Henry Robinson 2012-08-31, 06:57
+