HBase >> mail # user >> Failure scenarios in HBase

Re: Failure scenarios in HBase
HBase stores HFiles (and other files) in HDFS, so HDFS replication should
take care of the lost replica. It may indeed happen that region server will
be reading the files from remote machine; if it continues functioning
however, eventually compaction of the files will restore locality.

In case of full failure ideally there should not be any downtime; some
requests can just take long as they retry thru the downtime of one node.
Often, recovery can be very fast.
Take a look at HBASE-5843, it has some summary of MTTR (mean time to
recover) improvement work done recently.
There's also HBASE-7006 and some related JIRAs that may allow us to serve
the region faster after recovery.