Chukwa, mail # dev - Re: Shepherding: chukwa, mesos, directmemory

+
Alan D. Cabrera 2012-07-03, 13:26
Re: Shepherding: chukwa, mesos, directmemory
Jukka Zitting 2012-07-03, 14:35
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So the idea is to give the contributors committership and hope things take off?

Seems like a good idea to me, especially if Chukwa hasn't tried doing
that before.

> Eric does want to make one more release. Maybe that will churn some enthusiasm.
> Eric is very tenacious about keeping it open and he is very timely with the mailing
> list discussions and submitted patches.

Not sure if it's the case here (I don't follow Chukwa in detail), but
I know some projects where a highly active lead developer has actually
held back the community even though he had all the best intentions in
mind. Instead of directly jumping in and fixing issues that people
encounter, it's often a better long-term idea to help them come up
with a solution themselves. That approach obviously doesn't work with
all users, but with some such empowerment can be highly rewarding.
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." [*]

> I'm inclined to give it another shot but I'm wondering what criteria do we use
> to decide that we've done all we've can.

I guess the best criteria is when people run out of ideas or the
energy to implement them.

Basically incubation of a project makes sense for as long as there's
ongoing progress towards graduation. Once progress is no longer being
made, it's time for a podling to exit the Incubator in one way or
another.

[*] Apparently originally by Anne Isabella Ritchie in 1885
(http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/give-a-man-a-fish.html), though
the proverb is widely attributed to various other sources ranging from
the Bible to Tao Te Ching.

BR,

Jukka Zitting
+