HBase >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSSION] Sorting out issues for 0.96 for (eventual) release

+
Andrew Purtell 2013-01-08, 17:51
+
Stack 2013-01-08, 18:21
Re: [DISCUSSION] Sorting out issues for 0.96 for (eventual) release
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > That said, I think we should make up a list of what people want to see
> in,
> > and what could/should be excluded after we find that consensus.
> >

> High-level, we have had this discussion IMO ([3]).  Would you like to do it
> again Andrew?
>
> Otherwise, I think folks need to bubble up critical issues (or strike them
> down) and if any controversial, lets discuss them?

Some time has elapsed since that discussion, I think we should do it again.

For example, the notion of running on JDK 7 is new, and depends on other
communities because quite a bit seems broken on JDK 7 so I hear. The creep
of "-Djava.net.preferIPv4=true" among Hadoop ecosystem projects is also a
concern, and it bothers me that HDFS tests seem DOA without it on my dev
box, so this also isn't something we are going to be able to solve entirely
on our own. So while I think these are serious concerns, I have mixed
feelings about them being prerequisites for a 0.96 release.

A bunch of hard thoughtful intermingled work is underway in RPC and HFile
and other places, so that we only need to do a "singularity" once. We
should do a feature based release for this, not a time based one, is my
opinion. As for everything else, setting a target and seeing what falls in
or out based on that is worth doing.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy