HBase, mail # user - Bulk loading (and/or major compaction) causing OOM

Bulk loading (and/or major compaction) causing OOM
Bryan Beaudreault 2012-12-07, 21:01
We have a couple tables that had thousands of regions due to the size of
the day in them.  We recently changed them to have larger regions (nearly
4GB).  We are trying to bulk load these in now, but every time we do our
servers die with OOM.

The logs seem to show that there is always a major compaction happening
when the OOM happens.  This is among other normal usage from a variety of
apps in our product, so the memstores, block cache, etc are all active
during this time.

I was reading through the compaction code and it doesn't look like it
should take up much memory (depending on how the Reader class works) .
 Does anyone with more knowledge of these internals know how it bulk load
and major compaction works with regard to memory?

We are running on ec2 c1.xlarge servers with 5GB of heap, and on hbase
version 0.90.4 (I know, I know, we're working to upgrade).

Thanks.
+
Stack 2012-12-07, 21:48
+