Zookeeper, mail # user - puzzling BadVersionException

+
Ishaaq Chandy 2011-10-08, 01:47
+
Mahadev Konar 2011-10-10, 06:35
Re: puzzling BadVersionException
Ishaaq Chandy 2011-10-10, 08:26
Thanks Mahadev,
Yup, I am aware of the fact that 2 is a particularly bad number for cluster
size and hopefully we should fix that soon, I was just hoping that for some
reason that was why the problem is occurring - my conjecture was, for e.g.
if the two zk servers disagree about the version there is no way to decide
who is correct without a third tie-breaker server.

But, if you say that is not the case, then I need to keep looking (sigh).

I am pretty sure that only one thread is touching that znode. We put in some
trace logging to try and pinpoint the problem and noticed that every time we
get the BadVersionException the actual version on the znode is one more than
what we expected it to be based on the previous "exists()" call.

As I said, this code gets called once every 2 seconds (or thereabouts). It
seems to fail with a BadVersionException about 3 times an hour (on average).

By the way, not sure if it is relevant, but the reason we are using 2 nodes
in the cluster and the reason why their version is 3.2.2 is because they are
the ZKs that come embedded inside HBase (we're running 2 Hbase
regionservers) - I've been meaning to pull them out and run them standalone
but just haven't got around to it (yet).

Ishaaq

+
Ted Dunning 2011-10-11, 01:21
+