Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Setting Charset in getBytes() call.

+
David Medinets 2012-10-28, 21:50
+
Ed Kohlwey 2012-10-28, 22:18
+
William Slacum 2012-10-29, 15:39
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 16:00
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-29, 16:21
+
Benson Margulies 2012-10-29, 16:24
+
John Vines 2012-10-29, 16:42
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-29, 16:57
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 17:00
+
William Slacum 2012-10-29, 17:13
+
Mike Drob 2012-10-29, 17:16
+
Michael Flester 2012-10-29, 19:14
+
John Vines 2012-10-29, 19:18
+
Benson Margulies 2012-10-29, 20:02
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 20:29
+
Michael Flester 2012-10-30, 00:27
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-30, 00:46
+
Benson Margulies 2012-10-30, 00:54
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-30, 01:57
+
John Vines 2012-10-30, 02:08
+
David Medinets 2012-10-30, 02:47
Re: Setting Charset in getBytes() call.
On 10/29/2012 10:47 PM, David Medinets wrote:

> The code compiles and the tests run. I don't see any reason why I
> should not commit my work to the trunk for v1.5.0. I don't want to
> cause disharmony but I can't see the harm. And even if my change
> causes some problem, wouldn't it be better to know that while v1.5.0
> is still being actively developed?

My issue with this is that you have now hard-coded the fact that
everyone else is going to use UTF-8. Yes, it most likely won't affect
any compilation or tests (or even 90% of users), but I do not agree that
this is the best way to fix the problem. I still contest that setting
the desired encoding (via the appropriate JVM property like Bill Slacum
initial suggested) is the proper way to address the issue.

I don't feel like we ever actually came to a consensus on this discussion.
+
David Medinets 2012-10-30, 23:47
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-31, 00:21