Hive, mail # user - Hive doesn't support special characters in column name

+
Zhang Xiaoyu 2013-10-08, 18:26
+
Nitin Pawar 2013-10-08, 19:09
Re: Hive doesn't support special characters in column name
Zhang Xiaoyu 2013-10-08, 22:29
Thanks, Nitin,
If I modify the antlr file to allow column name accept those special
characters. What side effect potentially could be ? Will it possible break
the query parsing?

Johnny
On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Nitin Pawar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> In hive the column names are restricted by alpha-numeric and _ (and not
> beginning with _)
>
> Why it was done ? For my understanding, to avoid the unnecessary
> complexity in query parsing or grammer building.
>
>  hive dev will have definite answer :)
>

> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Zhang Xiaoyu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> The columns in my Hive table had better include some special characters
>> like / # -
>>
>> However, I found Hive doesn't allow it, and doesn't allow using \ as
>> escape character.
>> all below query fail
>>
>> (1)
>> create table test ( "user\/hive" String);
>> create table test ( "user\\/hive" String);
>> create table test ( user\/hive String);
>> create table test ( user\\/hive String);
>> create table test ( user/hive String);
>>
>> (2)
>> also, although Hive does allow _ in column name, but it doesn't special
>> character as begging of the column name
>> this query fail:
>> create table test ( _user_hive String);
>> this is OK:
>> create table test ( "user_hive" String);
>>
>> any idea?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Johnny
>>

> --