MapReduce >> mail # user >> YARN in 0.23 vs 2.0

YARN in 0.23 vs 2.0
We will be programming to the YARN resource manager and scheduler in an upcoming project, but I am unclear regarding its level of integration in each version.
Searching for, say, ApplicationSubmissionContext in versions of Hadoop, I see it in 0.23 and 2.0, but not in 1.0 or 1.1.  Does this mean that YARN is available as the ASM/RM in both of these versions?  Was 1.0 and 1.1 skipped over?

Thanks
john