MapReduce, mail # user - Good resource to learn .20 API?

+
Keith Wiley 2012-02-07, 21:50
+
Harsh J 2012-02-08, 04:04
+
Keith Wiley 2012-02-08, 15:33
Re: Good resource to learn .20 API?
bejoy.hadoop@... 2012-02-08, 15:39
Keith
      I echo Harsh's words. The old API is the stable one and the deprication has been removed in the later releases. We do have a good number of projects in production with old API and is definitely the recommended one.

Regards
Bejoy K S

From handheld, Please excuse typos.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Wiley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 07:33:27
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good resource to learn .20 API?

Thanks!  I'll look over those slides in detail, but at a first glance, they doesn't appear to draw a final conclusion on the matter (and they're from 2009)...so, to put it bluntly, which API is the recommended usage at this point?  .20 was supposed to make it easier for maintainers of Hadoop to extend, but I'm not aware that it was ever considered to offer major advantages from the users point of view.  So for a *user*, is there any advantage to using the .20 API, especially given that one of the most popular books (hint hint) is still only available in a .19 version?

(I'm aware of the upcoming May 3rd edition), but I can't wait until then, I've got work to do and have not found good resources for learning .20, unless it really isn't more complicated than a could of slides worth of material.

I don't mean to sound antagonistic, I just want to know which API is *recommended* for a new project, not something old that is already embedded in one API or the other?

Thanks.

On Feb 7, 2012, at 20:04 , Harsh J wrote:

> Hey Keith,
>
> The new API is still unstable, and we continue to support the 0.19
> stable (old) API even in 0.23, but here is a good guide:
> http://www.slideshare.net/sh1mmer/upgrading-to-the-new-map-reduce-api
> [The first part, from Owen]

sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                           --  Galileo Galilei

MONTMORY Alain 2012-02-08, 15:51