Hadoop, mail # general - Naming of Hadoop releases

Re: Naming of Hadoop releases
Konstantin Shvachko 2012-03-19, 19:04
Hadoop naming is definitely confusing. And having Hadoop-1 did not
make it less confusing for users.

> Current 0.22 -> Gets renamed to 1.5 (if it ever gets tested and released)

It was released on November 29, 2011.
eBay is actively using it as of today.

If the goal of renaming branches is to make things less confusing
about Hadoop, then I agree with people saying we should do a
simultaneous rename of the branches. That is
Current 0.22 -> 2
Current 0.23 -> 3

It almost sounds like release .22 does not deserve a whole number,
only a fraction. But having .22 renamed to 1.5 creates a confusion
that it belongs to Hadoop-1 line, which is not exactly the message we
want to send out.
Also I don't know what the number of commits reflects, and whether it
is good or not to have many for a particular release.

If the community decides to rename .22 to 2 I will be glad to work on it.

Thanks,
--Konstantin