Avro >> mail # dev >> Avro governance and Avro Enhancement Proposals

+
Bruce Mitchener 2010-06-03, 08:46
+
Philip Zeyliger 2010-06-03, 22:07
+
Jeff Hammerbacher 2010-06-03, 23:16
+
Matt Massie 2010-06-03, 23:37
+
Doug Cutting 2010-06-04, 00:15
+
Matt Massie 2010-06-05, 01:29
+
Doug Cutting 2010-06-07, 16:43
+
Matt Massie 2010-06-07, 19:51
+
Bruce Mitchener 2010-06-08, 02:16
+
Bruce Mitchener 2010-06-11, 05:20
Re: Avro governance and Avro Enhancement Proposals
> Whatever the result of this thread is, AEPs or not, it would be nice to
> have
> some way to know what changes are being proposed / discussed / implemented.

Hey Bruce,

I'm sorry if it hasn't been pointed out previously, but these discussions
are easy to track down by looking at the JIRA issues tagged with the "spec"
component (ugly URL, easy to navigate to):
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=12310911&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&component=12312779
.

We're all excited to have you involved and deeply committed to a rational
specification of Avro; at the current time, however, the contributor and
user base is small enough that working through spec modifications on the
JIRA is deemed appropriate by the majority of the community. I understand
that the C codebase is less nimble than, say, the Python codebase, so you
are perhaps bearing more of the burden from this less formal process for
specification changes; my apologies for that. On the other hand, you are
often not the first to find lurking features in the Avro codebase (e.g.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-447 and friends), so for that you
can be thankful.

As the Avro community grows, spec modifications will certainly become more
heavyweight; for now, I hope you'll be able to accomplish your goals for
Avro within this structure.

Thanks,
Jeff
+