Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack

+
Matt Foley 2012-11-30, 01:51
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-11-30, 01:25
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-30, 02:26
+
Chuan Liu 2012-11-30, 03:22
+
Bikas Saha 2012-11-30, 04:27
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 11:21
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 12:57
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-30, 13:29
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 14:02
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 13:49
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-12-02, 18:20
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-30, 00:29
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-30, 13:20
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-30, 13:40
+
Jitendra Pandey 2012-11-30, 22:49
+
Steve Loughran 2012-12-01, 10:48
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-24, 20:13
+
Ivan Mitic 2012-11-29, 23:41
+
Mahadevan Venkatraman 2012-11-30, 02:07
+
Raja Aluri 2012-12-01, 00:57
+
Eli Collins 2012-12-01, 01:08
+
Steve Loughran 2012-12-01, 10:44
+
Doug Cutting 2012-12-01, 18:23
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-12-13, 00:53
+
Doug Cutting 2012-11-30, 16:55
+
Joep Rottinghuis 2012-12-01, 20:28
+
Eric Yang 2012-12-02, 06:07
On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 10:07PM, Eric Yang wrote:
> -1, +1, -1
>
> Python has fairly inconsistent support across all major OS vendors.  It is
> hard to get it right unless the scripts are all designed to make use of
> Python 2.4.  However, Python 2.4 doesn't have necessary OS features to make
> Python useful in runtime or build environment unless you write a lot of
> custom modules.  Which defeats the purpose to use python as intermediate
> layer to do OS dependent work.  Jruby may be a better choice.

JRuby? Really? Groovy is already there and it is really a Java dialect unlike
JRuby. And yes - it is quite suitable for build things, considering the use of
it in BigTop

Cos

> On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Joep Rottinghuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
> > 0, 0, -1 (non-binding)
> >
> > Joep
> >
> > On Nov 24, 2012, at 12:13 PM, Matt Foley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > For discussion, please see previous thread "[PROPOSAL] introduce Python
> > as
> > > build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop
> > stack".
> > >
> > > This vote consists of three separate items:
> > >
> > > 1. Contributors shall be allowed to use Python as a platform-independent
> > > scripting language for build-time tasks, and add Python as a build-time
> > > dependency.
> > > Please vote +1, 0, -1.
> > >
> > > 2. Contributors shall be encouraged to use Maven tasks in combination
> > with
> > > either plug-ins or Groovy scripts to do cross-platform build-time tasks,
> > > even under ant in Hadoop-1.
> > > Please vote +1, 0, -1.
> > >
> > > 3. Contributors shall be allowed to use Python as a platform-independent
> > > scripting language for run-time tasks, and add Python as a run-time
> > > dependency.
> > > Please vote +1, 0, -1.
> > >
> > > Note that voting -1 on #1 and +1 on #2 essentially REQUIRES contributors
> > > use Maven plug-ins or Groovy as the only means of cross-platform
> > build-time
> > > tasks, or to simply continue using platform-dependent scripts as is being
> > > done today.
> > >
> > > Vote closes at 12:30pm PST on Saturday 1 December.
> > > ---------
> > > Personally, my vote is +1, +1, +1.
> > > I think #2 is preferable to #1, but still has many unknowns in it, and
> > > until those are worked out I don't want to delay moving to cross-platform
> > > scripts for build-time tasks.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > --Matt

+