MapReduce >> mail # user >> is HDFS RAID "data locality" efficient?

Re: is HDFS RAID "data locality" efficient?
On 8 August 2012 09:46, Sourygna Luangsay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hi folks!****
>
> One of the scenario I can think in order to take advantage of HDFS RAID
> without suffering this penalty is:**
>
> **-          **Using normal HDFS with default replication=3 for my ���fresh
> data”****
>
> **-          **Using HDFS RAID for my historical data (that is barely
> used by M/R)****
>
> ** **

exactly: less space use on cold data, with the penalty that access
performance can be worse. As the majority of data on a hadoop cluster is
usually "cold", it's a space and power efficient story for the archive data

--
Steve Loughran
Hortonworks Inc