HBase, mail # user - Enable Snappy compression - not able to load the libs on startup

+
Arvid Warnecke 2012-07-08, 07:48
+
Paul Cavallaro 2012-07-08, 16:45
+
Arvid Warnecke 2012-07-08, 20:21
+
Harsh J 2012-07-09, 01:44
+
Arvid Warnecke 2012-07-09, 17:44
+
Harsh J 2012-07-09, 18:00
Re: Enable Snappy compression - not able to load the libs on startup
Asaf Mesika 2012-07-09, 18:10
Maybe you should look at the content of the jvm argument switch -Djava.library.path, (ps -ef | grep hbase , to see the command line). This will give you a hint on the directories the .so object is being looked for.

On Jul 9, 2012, at 21:00 PM, Harsh J wrote:

> The hbase-daemon.sh does not ssh back into the host, so preserves any
> environment variables you haven't otherwise set in the hbase-env.sh
> file. I guess that did the trick for you.
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Arvid Warnecke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hello Harsh,
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 07:14:56AM +0530, Harsh J wrote:
>>> Perhaps the pre-compiled set does not work against the version of libs
>>> in your ArchLinux. We've noticed this to be the case between CentOS 5
>>> and 6 versions too (5 doesn't pick up the Snappy codec for some
>>> reason).
>>>
>>> Try recompiling them on the hadoop side (ant compile-native, etc.).
>>> For a loose dependency set to compile the natives, see
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/QwertyManiac/BuildingHadoopTrunk.
>>> Alternatively, you can also run the CDH build script under
>>> $HADOOP_HOME/cloudera/do-release-build to get it going automatically
>>> and producing a new tarball.
>>>
>> Thank you for those suggestions. I tried to rebuild with ant, which
>> broke with some useless error message and I tried to use the
>> do-release-build script which threw some other errors. At last I tried
>> to build only the snappy sources which had been downloaded via the
>> do-release-build script....
>>
>> What really did the trick was not to use ./bin/hbase-start.sh to start
>> up the Master and Regionserver, but to use ./bin/hbase-daemon.sh start
>> master and ./bin/hbase-daemon.sh start regionserver.
>>
>> I did not find the main difference between those scripts yet to tell
>> what is missing in the start-hbase.sh.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Arvid
>>
>> --
>> [ Arvid Warnecke ][ arvid (at) nostalgix (dot) org ]
>> [ IRC/OPN: "madhatter" ][ http://www.nostalgix.org ]
>> ---[  ThreePiO was right: Let the Wookiee win.  ]---
>

> --
> Harsh J
+
Arvid Warnecke 2012-07-10, 05:57