Flume, mail # user - Need for UDP / Multicast Source

+
Andrew Otto 2013-01-14, 17:29
+
Hari Shreedharan 2013-01-14, 17:37
+
Alexander Alten-Lorenz 2013-01-14, 17:43
+
Andrew Otto 2013-01-14, 18:01
+
Andrew Otto 2013-01-15, 19:31
+
Andrew Otto 2013-01-16, 21:22
+
Brock Noland 2013-01-16, 21:36
+
Andrew Otto 2013-01-16, 22:30
+
Brock Noland 2013-01-16, 22:34
Re: Need for UDP / Multicast Source
Hari Shreedharan 2013-01-16, 22:47
Also can you try adding more HDFS sinks reading from the same channel. I'd recommend using different file prefixes, or paths for each sink, to avoid collision. Since each sink really has just one thread driving them, adding multiple sinks might help. Also, keep an eye on the memory channel's sizes and see if it is filling up (there will be ChannelExceptions in the logs if it is).
Hari

--
Hari Shreedharan
On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Brock Noland wrote:

> Good to hear! Take five six thread dumps of it and then them our way.
>
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Andrew Otto <[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])> wrote:
> > Cool, thanks for the advice! That's a great blog post.
> >
> > I've changed my ways (for now at least). I've got lots of disks to use once memory starts working, and this node has tooooons of memory (192G).
> >
> > Here's my new flume.conf:
> > https://gist.github.com/4551513
> >
> > This is doing better, for sure. Note that I took out the timestamp regex_extractor just in case that was impacting performance. I'm using the regular ol' timestamp interceptor now.
> >
> > I'm still not doing so great though. I'm getting about 300 Mb per minute in my HDFS files. I should be getting about 300G. That's better than before though. I've got 10% of the data this time, rather than 0.14% :)
> >

> > On Jan 16, 2013, at 4:36 PM, Brock Noland <[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I would use memory channel for now as opposed to file channel. For
> > > file channel to keep up with that you'd need multiple disks. Also your
> > > checkpoint period is super-low which will cause lots of checkpoints
> > > and slow things down.
> > >
> > > However, I think the biggest issue is probably batch size. With that
> > > much data you are likely going to want a large batch size for all
> > > components involved. Something a low multiple of 1000. There is a good
> > > article on this:
> > > https://blogs.apache.org/flume/entry/flume_performance_tuning_part_1
> > >
> > > To re-cap would:
> > >
> > > Use memory channel for now. Once you prove things work you can work on
> > > tuning file channel (going to write larger batch sizes and multiple
> > > disks).

+
Andrew Otto 2013-01-16, 23:03
+
Hari Shreedharan 2013-01-16, 23:09
+
Bhaskar V. Karambelkar 2013-01-17, 01:21
+
Andrew Otto 2013-01-17, 15:34
+
Andrew Otto 2013-01-17, 16:26