Accumulo >> mail # dev >> MiniCluster and "provided" scope dependencies

+
Josh Elser 2013-09-24, 15:57
+
Keith Turner 2013-09-24, 16:31
+
Josh Elser 2013-09-24, 16:48
+
Keith Turner 2013-09-24, 16:58
+
Josh Elser 2013-09-24, 17:20
+
Steve Loughran 2013-09-24, 17:55
+
Josh Elser 2013-09-24, 18:14
+
Eric Newton 2013-09-24, 18:20
+
Christopher 2013-09-24, 18:27
+
Corey Nolet 2013-09-24, 16:55
Re: MiniCluster and "provided" scope dependencies
I agree. The provided stuff was done mainly to drive our packaging in
1.5, not to cater to maven developers. There are a few open tickets
about this for 1.6.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Josh Elser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm curious to hear what people think on this.
>
> I'm a really big fan of spinning up a minicluster instance to do some
> "more real" testing of software as I write it.
>
> With 1.5.0, it's a bit more painful because I have to add a bunch more
> dependencies to my project (which previously would only have to depend
> on the accumulo-minicluster artifact). The list includes, but is
> likely not limited to, commons-io, commons-configuration,
> hadoop-client, zookeeper, log4j, slf4j-api, slf4j-log4j12.
>
> Best as I understand it, the intent of this was that Hadoop will
> typically provide these artifacts at runtime, and therefore Accumulo
> doesn't need to re-bundle them itself which I'd agree with (not
> getting into that whole issue about the Hadoop "ecosystem"). However,
> I would think that the minicluster should have non-provided scope
> dependencies declared on these, as there is no Hadoop installation --
> there's just the minicluster. As such, this would alleviate users from
> having to dig into our dependency management or trial&error to figure
> out what "extra" dependencies they have to include in their project to
> actually make it work
>
> Thoughts?
>
> - Josh
+