Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 02:33
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 03:50
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 16:31
Tom White 2012-08-29, 17:30
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-29, 17:42
Suresh Srinivas 2012-08-29, 17:02
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 17:13
Suresh Srinivas 2012-08-29, 17:26
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 18:41
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 17:04
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 18:22
Eli Collins 2012-08-29, 18:49
Tom White 2012-08-29, 20:34
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 20:40
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 21:18
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-30, 13:46
Sharad Agarwal 2012-08-30, 06:41
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:29
Doug Cutting 2012-08-30, 16:17
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:44
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-30, 02:59
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:54
Konstantin Shvachko 2012-08-30, 10:12
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-30, 14:11
Aaron T. Myers 2012-08-30, 14:23
Brock Noland 2012-08-30, 14:43
Devaraj Das 2012-08-31, 01:28
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 06:02
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:15
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 06:42
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:50
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-31, 16:59
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-31, 17:10
Jagane Sundar 2012-08-31, 17:24
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-31, 17:11
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 07:55
Robert Evans 2012-08-31, 14:34
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 15:09
Doug Cutting 2012-08-31, 16:00
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 16:08
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-09-01, 00:23
Sharad Agarwal 2012-09-01, 09:59
Mahadev Konar 2012-08-31, 15:05
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:36
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 13:51
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 10:25
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 11:00
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-30, 00:16
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 00:55
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:34
Jakob Homan 2012-08-29, 21:22
Travis Thompson 2012-08-29, 22:30
Steve Loughran 2012-08-31, 11:54
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 14:14
Robert Evans 2012-08-29, 15:17
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 17:22
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-29, 03:45
Michael Segel 2012-08-29, 17:26
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 18:48
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:20
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 05:46
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 06:31
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 07:02
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-30, 07:11
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 12:29
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:35
Aaron T. Myers 2012-08-29, 23:53
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 23:47
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:48
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 01:52
Inder.dev Java 2012-08-30, 16:33
Doug Cutting 2012-08-30, 17:00
Owen OMalley 2012-08-30, 18:25
Inder.dev Java 2012-08-31, 19:00
Doug Cutting 2012-08-31, 20:44
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-31, 22:43
Eli Collins 2012-08-29, 18:41
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:19
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 05:38
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 06:06
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 06:18
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 06:31
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 07:17
On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 11:19PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> Hi Eli,
>
> On Aug 29, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Eli Collins wrote:
>
> > Thanks for writing up a proposal Chris.
>
> NP.
>

> > I think it makes sense to have Common live in HDFS at least for now,
> > since it's at the bottom of the stack / dependency chain and it's code
> > is the most intertwined with common, and, per Arun, we tend to work on
> > common stuff more than MR people. The HDFS project is really a lot
> > more than HDFS, eg has all the hadoop commands, non-HDFS file system
> > source, etc but that seems like an OK starting point. We need to
> > figure out the committers and PMC though since the goal is to just
> > have the HDFS community (vs the current Hadoop people) but the project
> > will contain non-HDFS stuff. I'd like to hear from the current Hadoop
> > committers and PMC members that mostly work on MR and YARN - are you
> > guys OK losing your current privileges on the HDFS repo?
>
> Rather than ask the former question that way, I would just simply put up
> a list of proposed HDFS PMC folks (yes, I keep using PMC ^_^). Then,
> iterate on that.
>
> > Otherwise we
> > haven't made much progress (ie HDFS still has multiple communities).
>
> ACK.
>

> > We also need to address the areas where it's not so cut and dry, eg
> > where there is a single Hadoop project:
> > - The Hadoop trademark, assume this lives in the HDFS project if Common does?
>
> Apache owns the Hadoop trademark, and the PMC helps to enforce it. Projects
> don't own trademarks.
>
> > - The user community, eg the users lists that we *just* merged, shall
> > we still keep one list?
>
> That's a good question -- maybe ask users to opt-in. Yes, this is intrusive, but
> I bet you'd find the real users of the specific projects if they have to resubscribe.
> Just my 2c.
>
> > - We should move the global stuff like "how to get started" docs to
> > Bigtop, which can point to individual projects resources
>
> Sounds cool to me.
>
> > - Hadoop 1.x is is maintenance mode, though it still actively gets
> > patches so we need to consider it. The surgery necessary to split v1
> > Hadoop is probably not suitable for a sustaining release and not worth
> > it at this point in the lifetime of this branch. I assume the HDFS
> > project will then host the Hadoop 1.x branches?  This implies only
> > members of the HDFS project can commit and release.
>
> Why not put the 1.x stuff in Bigtop since it's global or whatever?

Wearing my BigTop hat now, I encourage this audience to rush something like
this to BigTop. If I am reading you correctly, you are asking BigTop to host
1.x branches of Hadoop, aren't you? I don't see how it fits in there,
actually. But this is a separate issue that needs to involve BigTop community.

Cos

> Cheers,
> Chris

> Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
> Senior Computer Scientist
> Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:32
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 01:47
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 23:40
+
Jun Ping Du 2012-08-29, 18:35
+
Chris Douglas 2012-08-31, 01:24
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2012-08-31, 03:35
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2012-08-31, 15:59
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-09-01, 13:21