HBase >> mail # user >> Mongo vs HBase

+
Laurent Hatier 2011-08-10, 17:02
+
Chris Tarnas 2011-08-10, 17:09
+
Laurent Hatier 2011-08-10, 20:15
+
Li Pi 2011-08-10, 20:26
+
Edward Capriolo 2011-08-11, 00:44
+
Ryan Rawson 2011-08-11, 00:57
+
Blake Lemoine 2011-08-11, 03:07
+
Li Pi 2011-08-11, 03:18
+
Fuad Efendi 2011-08-11, 03:12
+
Jason Rutherglen 2011-08-11, 05:48
+
Laurent Hatier 2011-08-11, 08:13
Re: Mongo vs HBase
Sorry for off topic, butŠ just as a sample to understand fundamental
difference:
1. "SELECT COUNT" will take few hours on MySQL InnoDB in most typical
cases, and _it_is_ implemented.

2. Same with HBase: full table scan. However, with MapReduce it might take
less time. Or, we can query Solr (Lily-way) to get number of records, but
data won't be absolutely correct.

Just as a sampleŠ
Of course, we can "transactionally" store number of records somewhere and
_kill_performance_.

Another solution is to use fixed-width records (similar to MyISAM) - but
data will be sparse etc.
Lily provides Hbase -based "Write Ahead Log", Hbase-based "Message Queue",
and Hbase -based "Secondary Index" (separate library); and it also
provides framework support to subscribe to a queue of messages.
--
Fuad Efendi
http://www.tokenizer.ca