MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: Basic question on how reducer works

+
Harsh J 2012-07-09, 01:16
+
Grandl Robert 2012-07-09, 01:27
+
Pavan Kulkarni 2012-07-09, 02:56
+
Harsh J 2012-07-09, 03:38
+
Pavan Kulkarni 2012-07-09, 04:11
+
Grandl Robert 2012-07-08, 01:37
+
Harsh J 2012-07-08, 05:34
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-07-09, 13:24
+
Manoj Babu 2012-07-09, 17:52
+
Harsh J 2012-07-09, 17:57
+
Manoj Babu 2012-07-09, 18:07
+
Karthik Kambatla 2012-07-09, 18:12
+
Grandl Robert 2012-07-09, 19:55

On Jul 9, 2012, at 12:55 PM, Grandl Robert wrote:

> Thanks a lot guys for answers.
>
> Still I am not able to find exactly the code for the following things:
>
> 1. reducer to read from a Map output only its partition. I looked into ReduceTask#getMapOutput which do the actual read in ReduceTask#shuffleInMemory, but I don't see where it specify which partition to read(reduceID).

Look at TaskTracker.MapOutputServlet.

> 2. still don't understand very well in which part of the code(MapTask.java) the intermediate data is written do which partition. So MapOutputBuffer is the one who actually writes the data to buffer and spill after buffer is full. Could you please elaborate a bit on how the data is written to which partition ?

Essentially you can think of the partition-id as the 'primary key' and the actual 'key' in the map-output of <key, value> as the 'secondary key'.

hth,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy