Home | About | Sematext search-lucene.com search-hadoop.com
NEW: Monitor These Apps!
elasticsearch, apache solr, apache hbase, hadoop, redis, casssandra, amazon cloudwatch, mysql, memcached, apache kafka, apache zookeeper, apache storm, ubuntu, centOS, red hat, debian, puppet labs, java, senseiDB
 Search Hadoop and all its subprojects:

Switch to Threaded View
MapReduce >> mail # user >> namenode not starting


Copy link to this message
-
Re: namenode not starting
did you run the command bin/hadoop namenode -format before starting
the namenode ?

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Abhay Ratnaparkhi
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had a running hadoop cluster.
> I restarted it and after that namenode is unable to start. I am getting
> error saying that it's not formatted. :(
> Is it possible to recover the data on HDFS?
>
> 2012-08-24 03:17:55,378 ERROR
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: FSNamesystem
> initialization failed.
> java.io.IOException: NameNode is not formatted.
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage.java:434)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.loadFSImage(FSDirectory.java:110)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.initialize(FSNamesystem.java:291)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.<init>(FSNamesystem.java:270)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.loadNamesystem(NameNode.java:271)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:303)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:433)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:421)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1359)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1368)
> 2012-08-24 03:17:55,380 ERROR
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode: java.io.IOException:
> NameNode is not formatted.
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage.java:434)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.loadFSImage(FSDirectory.java:110)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.initialize(FSNamesystem.java:291)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.<init>(FSNamesystem.java:270)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.loadNamesystem(NameNode.java:271)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:303)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:433)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:421)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1359)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1368)
>
> Regards,
> Abhay
>
>

--
Nitin Pawar
NEW: Monitor These Apps!
elasticsearch, apache solr, apache hbase, hadoop, redis, casssandra, amazon cloudwatch, mysql, memcached, apache kafka, apache zookeeper, apache storm, ubuntu, centOS, red hat, debian, puppet labs, java, senseiDB