Hive >> mail # user >> Important Question

+
Dalia Sobhy 2012-01-25, 15:01
+
bejoy_ks@... 2012-01-25, 16:04
+
Dalia Sobhy 2012-01-25, 16:30
+
Bejoy Ks 2012-01-25, 16:58
RE: Important Question

Hiii Bejoy,
Can you provide me with a simple example of how to mount Hbase table into a Hive Table ??
Thanks,

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:58:26 -0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Important Question
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Dalia    By complex queries if you are looking at joins with multiple tables and so on, Hbase doesn't support joins. In the absence of joins if you want to achieve a join that involved multiple tables in RDBMS, based on your requirement you should find suitable Column Families and Qualifiers in single Hbase table to accommodate those multiple tables in RDBMS. I haven't played much with HBQL, but if you are developing some API you can depend on the HBase Java API internally for storage and retrieval of records. Hbase the Querying (Retrieval time) largely depends on how you design the Row key and Column family (Hbase stores CF together and Row Keys sorted and distributed across regions). If you want to have a SQL like querying functionality for a Hbase
 table you have to correspondingly mount that to a hive table.
    In my personal experience I have used hbase tables for real time data storage and retrieval for a hadoop enterprise application. There were scheduled Map Reduce jobs that run on off peak hours that dumps the required data (formatted and filtered) from this Hbase table into hdfs and from there hive consumes the data for analytical purposes. We had a good number of analytical jobs and didn't wanted to choke hbase servers in peak hours so the mining and analytics part were moved completely to hive.
RegardsBejoy.K.S