Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta
On 15 May 2013 15:02, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Roman,
>
> Furthermore, before we rush into finding flaws and scaring kids at night
> it would be useful to remember one thing:
> Software has *bugs*. We can't block any release till the entire universe
> validates it, in fact they won't validate it if we don't release since are
> at the bottom of the stack.

more subtly: we aren't going to find all the corner case situations until
things ship into the hands of people whose {networks, configs,
applications, hardware} are different. Marking something as -beta means
more people will use it, and find those problems, at a time when it is
still possible for a  fast turnaround on fixes. what we are implicitly
saying with a "-beta" tag is " ready for others to use", which in Hadoop's
case means "doesn't lose data unless you do something suicidal" and "we're
not going to move APIs on you". The gulf from -beta to shipping is usually
much less dramatic than -alpha to -beta, as it happens when everyone is
happy that the last beta is good enough to push out.

-Steve

(who will be at the HUG in Sunnyvale this evening)