HBase, mail # user - Master node Question

RE: Master node Question
Jonathan Gray 2011-02-07, 19:29
There is only one active HBase master at any given time, but there can be any number of backup masters.  The failover is automated and coordinated via ZooKeeper.  Regionservers and clients use ZooKeeper to determine who is the current active master.  You can run with as many as you want.

On larger clusters, I usually recommend around 5 master nodes.  One possible configuration is to have all 5 with ZK (running on their own dedicated spindles), one for the NameNode, one for the SecondaryNameNode, and the other three can be HMasters (one will be the normal HMaster, the other backups).

JG