MapReduce, mail # dev - Next releases

Re: Next releases
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-11-10, 22:07
Arun, thanks for jumping on this.

On hadoop branch-2.2. I've quickly scanned the commit logs starting from
the 2.2.0 release and I've found around 20 JIRAs that I like seeing in
2.2.1. Not all of them are bugs but the don't shake anything and improve
usability.

I presume others will have their own laundry lists as well and I wonder the
union of all of them how much adds up to the current 81 commits.

How about splitting the JIRAs among a few contributors to assert there is
nothing risky in there? And if so get discuss getting rid of those commits
for 2.2.1. IMO doing that would be cheaper than selectively applying
commits on a fresh branch.

Said this, I think we should get 2.2.1 out of the door before switching
main efforts to 2.3.0. I volunteer myself to drive 2.2.1 a  release if ASAP
if you don't have the bandwidth at the moment for it.

Cheers.

Alejandro

Commits in branch-2.2 that I'd like them to be in the 2.2.1 release:

The ones prefixed with '*' technically are not bugs.

 YARN-1284. LCE: Race condition leaves dangling cgroups entries for killed
containers. (Alejandro Abdelnur via Sandy Ryza)
 YARN-1265. Fair Scheduler chokes on unhealthy node reconnect (Sandy Ryza)
 YARN-1044. used/min/max resources do not display info in the scheduler
page (Sangjin Lee via Sandy Ryza)
 YARN-305. Fair scheduler logs too many "Node offered to app" messages.
(Lohit Vijayarenu via Sandy Ryza)
*MAPREDUCE-5463. Deprecate SLOTS_MILLIS counters. (Tzuyoshi Ozawa via Sandy
Ryza)
 YARN-1259. In Fair Scheduler web UI, queue num pending and num active apps
switched. (Robert Kanter via Sandy Ryza)
 YARN-1295. In UnixLocalWrapperScriptBuilder, using bash -c can cause Text
file busy errors. (Sandy Ryza)
*MAPREDUCE-5457. Add a KeyOnlyTextOutputReader to enable streaming to write
out text files without separators (Sandy Ryza)
*YARN-1258. Allow configuring the Fair Scheduler root queue (Sandy Ryza)
*YARN-1288. Make Fair Scheduler ACLs more user friendly (Sandy Ryza)
 YARN-1330. Fair Scheduler: defaultQueueSchedulingPolicy does not take
effect (Sandy Ryza)
 HDFS-5403. WebHdfs client cannot communicate with older WebHdfs servers
post HDFS-5306. Contributed by Aaron T. Myers.
*YARN-1335. Move duplicate code from FSSchedulerApp and FiCaSchedulerApp
into SchedulerApplication (Sandy Ryza)
*YARN-1333. Support blacklisting in the Fair Scheduler (Tsuyoshi Ozawa via
Sandy Ryza)
*MAPREDUCE-4680. Job history cleaner should only check timestamps of files
in old enough directories (Robert Kanter via Sandy Ryza)
 YARN-1109. Demote NodeManager "Sending out status for container" logs to
debug (haosdent via Sandy Ryza)
*YARN-1321. Changed NMTokenCache to support both singleton and an instance
usage. Contributed by Alejandro Abdelnur
 YARN-1343. NodeManagers additions/restarts are not reported as node
updates in AllocateResponse responses to AMs. (tucu)
 YARN-1381. Same relaxLocality appears twice in exception message of
AMRMClientImpl#checkLocalityRelaxationConflict() (Ted Yu via Sandy Ryza)
 HADOOP-9898. Set SO_KEEPALIVE on all our sockets. Contributed by Todd
Lipcon.
 YARN-1388. Fair Scheduler page always displays blank fair share (Liyin
Liang via Sandy Ryza)

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Chris Nauroth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Arun, what are your thoughts on test-only patches?  I know I've been
> merging a lot of Windows test stabilization patches down to branch-2.2.
>  These can't rightly be called blockers, but they do improve dev
> experience, and there is no risk to product code.
>
> Chris Nauroth
> Hortonworks
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 1:30 AM, Steve Loughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
>
> > On 8 November 2013 02:42, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Gang,
> > >
> > >  Thinking through the next couple of releases here, appreciate f/b.
> > >
> > >  # hadoop-2.2.1
> > >
> > >  I was looking through commit logs and there is a *lot* of content here

Alejandro