HDFS, mail # user - Cohesion of Hadoop team?

Re: Cohesion of Hadoop team?
Matt Foley 2013-01-18, 18:59
The policy should be stated :-)  It is:  "All new features must be
committed to trunk before or simultaneously with being committed to a
lower-numbered branch."

Thus, we don't forbid new features from being added to the Hadoop-1 branch,
but they must be back-ports of features already added to trunk/Hadoop-2.

Hadoop-1 continues to live because it is very stable and the community
needs time to stabilize the great new major features in Hadoop-2.  But most
of us are looking forward to moving to Hadoop-2 when it is ready.  By
keeping Hadoop-1 in good shape in the meantime, we assure that the
transition can be smooth and reasonably comfortable for the end-user
companies that depend on Hadoop for business-critical use.

--Matt
Hadoop-1 release manager