Zookeeper, mail # dev - dev meeting minutes

Re: dev meeting minutes
Thomas Koch 2011-07-13, 01:59
Vishal Kher:
> Thanks. Looking forward to reading the paper.
>
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Alexander Shraer <shralex@yahoo-
inc.com>wrote:
> > Hi Vishal,
> >
> > At the meeting I presented the general approach I'm following to
> > implement reconfiguration in ZK. If I understood correctly, the concern
> > was broadly that there are a lot of cases to consider and that
> > correctness is non-trivial. We agreed that I'll prepare a detailed
> > writeup of the protocol and changes made to ZK. I believe that this
> > should address most of the concerns.
> >
> > The positive points raised in the meeting were that the method offers
> > minimal interruption to service during reconfiguration, uses normal ZK
> > operation flow, and does not require modifications to other ZK
> > operations.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Alex
Hi Alex,

I don't know your approach to cluster reconfiguration, but I had a thought
about it lately that may be rather trivial, if I didn't oversee anything.
Cluster reconfiguration would need to be an operation that goes through the
leader and gets acknowledged by a quorum. All operations following the cluster
reconfiguration operation would need to be committed by the new quorum.

I hope this idea might help and I didn't make a fool of myself. :-)

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro