Avro >> mail # user >> Schema <clinit> verify error in Tomcat 6

Re: Schema <clinit> verify error in Tomcat 6
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Scott Carey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think Jersey uses the Jackson JSON library, like Avro does.  The Schema
> class is the first class in the chain that references jackson classes.  If
> the version of Jackson that Jersey uses is old enough, that might be the
> problem.  Its version likely comes first in the classpath.   Some of the
> 1.0.x Jackson versions are known to be incompatible with later Jackson 1.x
> versions.
> The trace below is cryptic, but the first place I would look would be a jar
> file conflict in a common dependeny.

Right: specifically, this is due to unintended binary incompatibility
in Jackson (between version 1.1 and 1.2), casued by changing
configuration method return type from void to "this type". Change was
made to allow chaining of calls, and is source compatible. But it was
not realized at the time that it is not binary compatible... hence
issues.

Solution is simple; code that configures Jackson ObjectMapper needs to
be recompiled. This is not a problem for direct usage, but is
problematic when Jackson is transitive dependency. So in case of  Avro
one has to recompile avro lib with never Jackson version, or upgrade
to version that was compiled against later version.

-+ Tatu +-