Hive >> mail # user >> subdirectories  in External tables.

subdirectories  in External tables.

I have a case where  I want to  dump data daily under

/user/sampd/test/{date}.
I thought of making this an external table on Hive   so that I   can just keep dumping data daily.

In my external table definition , I specified  the location as /user/sampd/test.
But when I try to run a query on the table , I get an exception .
Failed with exception java.io.IOException:java.io.IOException: Not a file:<hdfs path to the folder>.

This is inspite of setting mapred.input.dir.recursive=true;

Is this a supported feature in Hive ?   Any alternatives ?
Sam William
[EMAIL PROTECTED]