HBase >> mail # dev >> assignment - is master beeing a watchdog useful?

+
Nicolas Liochon 2012-12-05, 19:48
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-12-06, 01:20
+
Jimmy Xiang 2012-12-06, 02:57
+
Stack 2012-12-06, 03:53
+
Jimmy Xiang 2012-12-06, 17:26
+
Sergey Shelukhin 2012-12-06, 18:18
Re: assignment - is master beeing a watchdog useful?
We can't make the assignment znode ephemeral.  It is used to track
region assignments, and recovery.  For example, if a region is moving
from rs A to rs B, while it is opening on
B and B and the master die.  If the znode is gone with B, then the new
backup master will think the region is still open on rs A since A is
live and meta still shows the region is on A, which is not the case.

Thanks,
Jimmy

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Sergey Shelukhin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I may be missing some past context here, but why not make it so that the
> assignment zookeeper node is ephemeral, so it dies with the server?
> Then it will be possible to notice there's no more assignment without the
> separate watcher.
>
> I have conflicting opinions about the current safeguard; on one hand, I've
> seen at least one bug (HBASE-6060) that was fixed (on 0.96 but explicitly
> not in 0.94) that resulted in region never being assigned (until the 30min
> watcher kicked in, that is).
> On the other hand, making catch-alls for code bugs in this manner seems
> like a bad practice.
> Maybe we can remove it when we have "bulletproof" unit(!) tests for AM that
> take into account various scenarios.
>
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Jimmy Xiang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Currently, rs doesn't watch the znode.  RS cancels ongoing open after
>> master tells it so.
>>
>> Jimmy

>> > I suppose the master can still 'timeout' the open if the RS is watching
>> the
>> > znode for the region it is trying to open.  The RS will notice that
>> master
>> > has assumed control in a callback and can then cancel any ongoing open.
>> >
>> > St.Ack

+
Stack 2012-12-06, 18:34
+