Hive >> mail # user >> BINARY column type

BINARY column type
I am trying to use BINARY columns and believe I have the perfect use-case for it, but I am missing something. Has anyone used this for true binary data (which may contain newlines)?
Here is the background... I have some files that each contain just one logical field, which is a binary object. (The files are Google Protobuf format.) I want to put these binary files into a larger file, where each protobuf is a logical record. Then I want to define a Hive table that stores each protobuf as one row, with the entire protobuf object in one BINARY column. Then I will use a custom UDF to select/query the binary object.
This is about as simple as can be for putting binary data into Hive.
What file format should I use to package the binary rows? What should the Hive table definition be? Which SerDe option (LazySimpleBinary?). I cannot use TEXTFILE, since the binary may contain newlines. Many of my attempts have choked on the newlines.
Thank you,

Chuck Connell

Nuance

Burlington, MA