HBase, mail # dev - keyvalue cache

RE: keyvalue cache
Vladimir Rodionov 2012-04-04, 06:03
Usually make sense for tables with random mostly access (point queries) For short-long scans block cache is preferable.
Cassandra has it (Row cache) but as since they cache the whole row (which can be very large) in many cases
it has sub par performance. Make sense to make caching configurable: table can use key-value cache and do not use block cache
and vice verse.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Enis Söztutar [enis@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:34 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: keyvalue cache

Hi,

Before opening the issue, I though I should ask around first. What do you
think about a keyvalue cache sitting on top of the block cache? It is
mentioned in the big table paper, and it seems that zipfian kv access
patterns might benefit from something like this a lot. I could not find
anybody who proposed that before.

What do you guys think? Should we pursue a kv query-cache. My gut feeling
says that especially for some workloads we might gain significant
performance improvements, but we cannot verify it, until we implement and
profile it, right?

Thanks,
Enis

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review, use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or [EMAIL PROTECTED] and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its attachments.