HDFS, mail # user - balancing and replication in HDFS

+
Jeffrey Buell 2011-02-25, 22:52
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-02-25, 23:12
RE: balancing and replication in HDFS
Jeffrey Buell 2011-02-26, 00:45
Hi Todd,

Thanks for the quick response.

I added <final>true</final> to dfs.replication, but I still get just one output copy.  Can hadoop apps overwrite the replication level even with this parameter?

I tried increasing mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum from 1 to 4, but that didn't make any difference:  output is still all on one node.  I thought that parameter controls the number of reduce tasks per node so 1 should be sufficient, is that correct logic?  The other reduce parameters are at their defaults.  Which parameters should I be trying?

There's no way the sort can run efficiently if the gen is unbalanced.  At 5 GB, there're plenty of blocks to make the distribution even.  How does HDFS decide to spread the storage across the nodes?  Note the sizes of the 4 chunks (1.7,...,3.2 GB) seem to be repeatable, but they land on different nodes each time teragen is run.

Jeff

+
Todd Lipcon 2011-02-26, 04:13
+