HBase, mail # user - Storing extremely large size file

+
vishnupriyaa 2012-04-17, 13:06
+
Brock Noland 2012-04-17, 14:17
+
vishnupriyaa 2012-04-20, 12:38
+
Brock Noland 2012-04-20, 14:28
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2012-04-17, 17:46
+
Jack Levin 2012-04-17, 17:47
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2012-04-17, 17:50
+
kim young ill 2012-04-17, 18:07
+
Dave Revell 2012-04-17, 18:18
+
Stack 2012-04-17, 18:38
+
Dave Revell 2012-04-17, 18:42
+
Wei Shung Chung 2012-04-17, 18:49
+
Michael Segel 2012-04-17, 22:46
+
Weishung Chung 2012-04-17, 23:28
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-04-18, 09:47
+
Michael Segel 2012-04-17, 22:43
+
lars hofhansl 2012-04-18, 05:02
Re: Storing extremely large size file
Michel Segel 2012-04-18, 11:57
Look, I don't want to be *that* guy, but just my $0.02 cents ...

I don't disagree that this topic doesn't come up all the time.
But you have a couple of issues. What do you consider to be large?
1kb? 10? 100? >1MB?
(and then there's that lie that size doesn't matter... But let's not go there... ;-)

Then there is the issue of region size, number of regions per RS...
(this question alone yields different answers from different people, meaning there isn't a single right answer or even a meaningful one.)

Then how about the heap size for the RS?
How about how much memory should have for your DNs...

You then Run in to some one saying that they read that they could build a DN with X hardware and yet this chapter now says you need to have Y and what's up with that...

Then you have the issue of alternatives like storing the blob in a sequence file while you store the index in HBase...
Just saying... :-)

Mike Segel

On Apr 18, 2012, at 12:02 AM, lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I disagree. This comes up frequently and some basic guidelines should be documented in the Reference Guide.
> If it is indeed not difficult than the section is the book will be short.

+
anil gupta 2012-04-18, 05:21
+
kim young ill 2012-04-18, 06:55